Sunday, October 31, 2010

Say No to Guinness

     I went to the Outback a few nights ago and decided to give the famous Guinness beer a try.  It was not only digusting, but made me sick to my stomach.  It tasted very much like burnt toast mixed with coffee and not at all like how a beer should taste.  To tell you the truth, I don't understand the fascination with this beer at all.  It is a dark beer with a large amount of brown foam on top.  The only thing that's good about this beer is the famous decorative glass it's served in.  Sometimes the bartender can even make designs such as a shamrock on top of the foam, which is also pretty impressive.
    
     The reason why it tasted like burnt toast is because it is made with roasted unmalted barley.  It also has an aroma of bitter chocolate and toffee.  Although I did not like this beer, I would recommend it if you're a big fan of coffee and wouldn't mind the taste of it in your beer. If you want a beer with foam that tastes better than the actual beer itself, drink Guinness.  I would not recommend it to people who are light beer drinkers.  This is by far the heaviest beer I've ever tasted.  It's heavily concentrated with some sort of syrup which makes it difficult to drink on a hot day.

Overall, I rate this beer a D-.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting, I do like light beer, so thanks for the heads up, tasting "Guinness" was on my "to do" list. I guess I'll pass on that then.

    ReplyDelete